'We make boating fun'
t:01489 588977
RYA Training Centre MCA PCA

Commercial Endorsement

Training & Exams
International Certificate

One of the questions we are consistently asked at Mendez Marine is How do I get a Commercial Endorsement?


If you want to work on boats you will need a commercial endorsement on your RYA Qualifications.  The official statement is “A commercial endorsement is required for work on board British flagged vessels subject to the MCA’s codes of practice for small commercial vessels.’  

At Mendez Marine we can support you to complete the practical and classroom, or on-line, support courses that you need to gain your endorsement.

Which RYA practical certificates / Certificates of Competence can be commercially endorsed?

  • RYA Level 2 Powerboat Handling course completion certificate
  • RYA Day Skipper practical course completion certificate
  • RYA Advanced Powerboat Certificate of Competence
  • RYA Yachtmaster Coastal Certificate of Competence
  • RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Certificate of Competence
  • RYA Yachtmaster Ocean Certificate of Competence

NB. These  practical certificates need to be supported by a shore-based (Theory) completion certificate.  So if you take the RYA Day Skipper, Coastal / Yachtmaster theory courses online you will need to arrange to have the exam element adjudicated.  Mendez Marine can arrange that for you for a small fee.

What else do I need to do?

You will also need to complete the following support courses and complete a Medical.

More detailed information about Commercial Endorsement can be found on the RYA site click here.

The RYA Website also outlines where you can work with these commercially endorsed qualifications click here 

Details and information on all these courses including prices, dates and booking procedures can be found in the RYA Courses section of this website.

Alternatively contact us here or give us a ring on 01489 588977.



Please recommend us if you found this article helpful: