'We make boating fun'
t:01489 588977
RYA Training Centre MCA PCA

Commercial Endorsement

Latest News

A commercial endorsement is required for work on board British flagged vessels subject to the MCA’s codes of practice for small commercial vessels.

Mendez Marine can offer you all the courses to enable you to commercially endorse your RYA Qualifications.


Within the RYA Powerboat and Motor-Cruising schemes, with the exception of RYA Powerboat Instructors, all other instructor and non-instructor qualification need to be commercially endorsed if you intend to use the qualification to earn money.

The following certificates can be commercially endorsed:

Course Completion Certificates

Certificates of Competence

The route to commercial endorsement is not long nor complicated; in addition to your qualification you must also hold the following:

Applications are made to the RYA by sending the following items to:

RYA Certification,
RYA House,
Ensign Way,
SO31 4YA:

  • Your original certificate – see list above
  • Your Professional Practices and Responsibilities certificate
  • A commercial endorsement application form
  • Your original, completed ML5 or ENG1 medical fitness form.Note: We can only accept the latest version of the ML5 form (currently MSF 4112 / Rev 0818). Skippers working in category 1 or 0 waters will need the ENG1 medical. A list of approved doctors can be found on the MCA website. See note below on medical referrals.
  • A copy of your RYA Basic Sea Survival certificate or STCW Personal Survival Techniques
  • A copy of your RYA Marine Radio SRC Certificate or other acceptable GMDSS Marine Radio Operator’s Certificate.
  • A passport sized photo with your name on the back
  • The application fee

Re-validating your commercial endorsement

All commercial endorsements must be revalidated every five years by proving at least 150 days of actual sea service on appropriate vessels during the previous five years, and be in possession of a valid medical fitness certificate.

The majority of Approved Doctors are now offering ENG1 medical examinations. Where a candidate is unable to gain access to an ML5 medical examination they should seek to gain an ENG1 or equivalent seafarer medical fitness certificate.

If you are unable to prove the requisite sea service but are able to demonstrate that during at least half of the five year period you have been employed on duties closely associated with the management and operation of one or more of the appropriate types of vessels, you may have your certificate considered for revalidation.

You can download a revalidation form here.


Please recommend us if you found this article helpful: