RYA VHF Radio Online Course
Special Offer during the Covid-19 pandemic
– Usually £59.
The RYA VHF course is for anyone who owns a fixed or hand-held marine VHF radio.
The Short Range Certificate is the qualification required by law if you operate a VHF radio fitted with Digital Selective Calling (DSC) on any British vessel voluntarily fitted with a radio.
A VHF radio is an important piece of safety equipment on board and it is vital to understand the correct procedures.
The online course is designed to be examined at the centre that you brought it from so in this case at Mendez Marine.
The VHF Operator’s Course is examined using radio simulators. The exam will also include a short written test and is conducted by an independent assessor who is paid by the RYA, not by the training centre.
The course is Web based and accessed through the RYA website.
Login codes and packs are normally despatched the same day Mon – Fri, office hours.
- RYA VHF Radio Online Course via the RYA website this takes roughly 5 hours of home study, you need to study the course and pass the questions.
- You will receive the RYA VHF Handbook (G31) to help you, either hard copy or Ebook, depending on your location (overseas Ebook ONLY).
- Once you have passed and printed your certificate, you can take the exam and practical assessment at the Mendez Marine RYA Training Centre. The exam costs £60. This can be paid on-line click here
- We strongly recommend trying the SRC Taster Course before buying the full course to check that it will work on your device.
How to enable the mic on your PC Page
|Pre-course experience || None |
Assumed knowledge || None |
Minimum duration || Approximately 5 hours home study with the exam (approx. 1 hour) at Mendez Marine or by prior arrangement, an RYA Training Centre near you.|
Compatibility ||see below|
Minimum age || 16 |
Course content ||
- The basics of VHF radio operation
- The correct frequencies (channels) to be used
- Distress, emergency and medical assistance procedures
- Digital Selective Calling (DSC)
- Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS)
- Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB)
- Search and Rescue Transponder (SART)
Ability after the course ||To be able to use a short range VHF marine radio to the standards required by the RYA/MCA
Marine Radio Short Range Certificate
This web-based training is designed to work across the devices and operating systems shown below. It is optimized for the latest technology, fully responsive and suitable for high definition screens.
You will need:
- Internet connection (broadband or 3G). Charges may apply for 3G.
- Microphone and speakers/headphones.
- Pop-ups enabled
- PC running Windows 10 minimum with the latest version of Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome or Firefox.
- Mac running 10.13 minimum with the latest version of Safari, Google Chrome or Firefox
- iPad running iOS 11 minimum using Safari.
- Android tablet running 4.1 minimum using Google Chrome.